BackJoy launched one of its new Posture+ sitting devices or BackJoy Back Orthotic in the USA and is now available in Singapore, which aims to provide back pain relief for many traveling this holiday season. At the time of this writing, BackJoy cost about S$65 to $90 retail here in Singapore. Recently, one of our patients brought in her product to ask my opinion if BackJoy works to prevent or reduce back pain or support the back while sitting.
Does it work for your back pain? With 8 out of 10 Singaporean (about the same in the USA) experiencing back pain in their lifetime, many people in Singapore are looking to combat the problems associated with long-term sitting.
Now here is what the BackJoy may do for your back problems:
- Posture+ utilizes BackJoy’s patented Applied Postural Science™ (APS), which promotes better posture by maintaining the spine’s most natural and strain-free position during sitting.
- The normal seated position prevents the body’s core from being engaged, but sitting on the Posture+ helps to utilize core muscles for spinal strength.
- Users find increased comfort in the thighs, tailbone, and lower back, and many reports feeling more energized and better breathing.
- It not only makes sitting more comfortable during the day but makes it feel better to get up after sitting for a while.
- Posture+ tilts the user’s pelvis upright to re-shape the spine and relieve pressure while simultaneously cupping the gluteal muscles. This combined action more evenly distributes the user’s body weight to prevent pressure points from developing. These revolutionary features of Posture+ recreate the same position and balance achieved while standing up.
- Over time, your body’s muscles will ‘remember’ this new, better posture, meaning you can sit properly even without using the BackJoy.
My BackJoy Review:
The intension of BackJoy is to help one not to slouch after prolonged sitting in the office or at home. Just with any product or service, there will be people who will feel its helpful and those who would not.
My BackJoy review is based on my personal opinion after trying it out myself. I agree with BackJoy’s concept that helping the person assume the correct posture while sitting is beneficial. After sitting on the BackJoy, I somehow do not feel that it forces my lower back to assume a good posture. I was hoping that it will somehow trigger a response for me to sit back upright should I slouch but it did not. For a back orthotic that encourages a good back posture, I give it a 1 out of 5 stars.
In comparison for a back support gadget, I felt the Orthoback Support actually does a better job to keep your spine straight. Check out my Orthoback Support Review where I make a comparison between the BackJoy and Orthoback Support.
Now BackJoy does give a feeling of cradling your buttock or gluteal muscles, though I felt the material is somewhat too soft to provide the cupping effect. I must say I have not sat on the BackJoy long enough but based on my first impression I would give it 2 stars our of 5.
Also, I am not convinced it will over time, convince your body’s muscles to ‘remember’ this new, better posture, meaning you can sit properly even without using the BackJoy. The reason is that your back needs to be properly aligned and adjusted first. Then they need to be strengthened to be able to hold your posture whether sitting or standing. There is no shortcut. Gadgets can help some but in this case, I feel a back support type is more beneficial.
If you already have back pain, it is better to get the root cause of your back pain fixed with chiropractic first before using any lower back orthotic such as the BackJoy which usually provide temporary support. It may also make a difference whether you use the product on a chair with or without a backrest. It would probably work better if the back part was rested on the backrest of your chair as this would encourage the pelvis to tilt forward for a better sitting posture.